Saturday, December 18, 2010

Tis the Season





There are times in life when we trudge slowly up hill, each day another long climb in an almost endless seeming calendar of must-do's and daily grind.

Then there are the times when we tuck in our arms, point our toes, and slide though the rapid blur, hoping to do a few of the things we looked forward to on the way up. If we're lucky, or very determined, we will reach out and grab a few of those things along the way.




For me, and I'm sure a lot of people out there, October starts the slide, and I slip all the way to January second.

Each year there are things I hope and plan for, and each year I'm lucky if I grab even a few of them.




Year after year I think, this will be the year that I will stick to my plans, perfect my lists, and get everything done.

And year after year I wake up one day and realize there is only one week left until Christmas and despite my planning, and struggling, and endless strive for organization, I'm not ready.

Today was that day.




I've been wrapping presents for a month, but someone keeps buying more...

I've had my niece and nephews' gifts since November second, but someone spent her day off decorating the porch instead of mailing them...

I've been working on a list of ideas for the hardest person to shop for, but someone keeps avoiding all those man-type stores and looking at all the pretty, shiny things in her favorite shops...

I've had Christmas cards sitting in a box since Thanksgiving, but someone has been baking cookies with her kids and making fudge for their teachers instead of addressing them...

I suppose there are people out there who do get everything done. People who both bake and mail...




Someone out there who has figured out how to slow the season down and get everything done, but I, evidently, am stuck on the slide.

What I'm coming to realize is that it's ok.

So, maybe a few people will wonder why they didn't receive a Christmas card from us...

Maybe my nephews will open their gifts on December 28th...

Maybe I am destined to spend every Christmas Eve tying ribbons onto packages till dawn...




In the grand scheme of things, I'm doing all right. Soon enough I'll be trudging day by day uphill toward spring. So, let those other someones follow their plans and check off their lists, me? I'm going to tuck in, and point, and do my best at enjoying the slide.

No comments:

Post a Comment