Thursday, April 8, 2010

A Bathroom Project

I am reminded of a children's rhyme as I think about this particular project, but I can't exactly think of what it is... something like this is the house that John built or maybe it was something about a bump on a log...
If I had more initiative, I would look it up and find out what I'm talking about, but I'm just not that ambitious.
The point is it was one of those things that started small and grew.
And I mean GREW.
It all started in my favorite antique shop when I found these little lovelies,
I happen to be in an aqua phase.
And a zinc phase.
And they were only $4 a piece.
So I bought them intending to use them for kitchen storage, sugar, corn starch, tea bags... it didn't really matter that I already have storage for all of those things, these were too beautiful to pass up. Then I got them home and realized how gorgeous they looked with the new rug I had recently bought for the bathroom. So instead of the kitchen they found a home here,
And I immediately chucked the old containers that stored the soaps, swabs, and cotton balls so it looked like i needed them after all ;-)
The only problem was the serious lack of aqua elsewhere in the room (other than the rug) 
Hmmmm...
Quick solution - chuck the old prints in the photo frame towel rack and print out ones with aqua backgrounds, and voila,
 And it only took me four hours of internet searching to discover there were no free graghic prints with aqua backgrounds... luckily I had some scrapbook chalks handy to remedy that problem.
There.

Now the room was coming together, but...oh that old, stained, linoleum floor.
Hmmmm...
Quick fix - peel and stick planks of wood (look) flooring.
Really it only took me an afternoon, and...
Ahhhh, much better.
But as long as we had the toilet pulled out to lay the floor,
Hmmmm...
It wouldn't really take much to replace it with one that had a fully glazed trap and did not have a weird brown mark in the top that the builders didn't seem to think was a problem.
(I didn't take a picture of that one... it's a toilet.)
Oh, and while I was at the store... they had doors on sale!
(have I mentioned yet that I am a.d.d.?)
Okay, that one was not a quick fix... but we've been meaning to replace all the icky fake-oak-slab doors for a while now.
So, 7 six-panel doors later...

Yes, better.
 Only now those shiny brass knobs were bothering me on the beautiful white doors.
Hmmmm...
It only took me four hours of internet searching to realize that at this point I was running out of budget. Luckily I had recently seen a blog about spray painting hardware in oil rubbed bronze paint. (Ah-ha!)
Quick fix - spray painted knobs... hinges... strike plates...and screws.
(Yeah, okay, that one took a while, too.)
Ahhhh.
Oh, and there's the shower curtain that I bought to go with the rug. Remember the rug? Yeah, I decided the floor was too pretty now to bother with the rug...
so I put it in the master bath instead.
Hmmmm...  

No comments:

Post a Comment