Sunday, April 25, 2010

Culinary Experiment


Disclaimer: I am not a chef.
I repeat - I am not a chef. I'm not even a cook. In fact we have something in my house called find your own dinner night... and it happens more often than I should probably admit to people like... my mother, or... child protective services.
But there it is. It happens. Often.
Anyway, when I do provide my family with home cooked sustenence, I actually try to pack in as much nutrition as possible,
(to make up for the night of corn flakes and pickles)
which often leads to some interesting experiments.
I'm calling this one Sweet Potato Puff Cookies
but don't let the name turn you off... despite the low sugar, low fat, veggie content, they were actually scarfed down by the lil'uns so fast that I never got my finished product photo.
I started with one cup of roasted sweet potato,


mashed with four tablespoons of melted butter, a quarter cup of skim milk, and one large egg.
Then stirred in one and a half cups of flour, two teaspoons of baking powder, half a teaspoon of salt, and four packets of Truvia (a natural stevia plant sweetener)


You could use a quarter cup of sugar instead of the Truvia, but i was going for low-cal.
Now at this point I scooped a few cookies out to see how the "plain" variety went over, before adding a quarter cup of chopped pecans and a half cup of chocolate chips.



Bake on a greased cookie sheet at 375 for fifteen minutes.
I used my medium scoop (average drop cookie size) and got 22 cookies.
They turned out to be light and fluffy almost dinner roll texture, but sweet and yummy, eaten by even the four year old who was quick to proclaim "but I don't like potater cookies!" while I was mixing the batter.
Apparently potater cookies are quite acceptable when they come with chocolate chips.
Oh and the "plain" variety...
was very bread like, and though I didn't mind them, were quickly gobbed with chocolate by the nine year old. So much for the healthy part!


So there go, we survived them. And, just in case any of you are daring enough to risk it, here's the official conglomerate:
1 C cooked sweet potato
4 Tbls. melted butter
1/4 C milk
1 egg
1 1/2 C flour
2 Tsp. baking powder
4 packets Truvia or 1/4 C sugar
1/2 Tsp. salt
1/4 C pecans
1/2 C chocolate chips
Bake on greased cookie sheet @ 375 for 15 minutes

And remember: I am not responsible for any kitchen mishaps or husband's complaints. 



No comments:

Post a Comment